Could my child be born without a thyroid gland?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

In rare cases, children can be born without a thyroid gland or with a thyroid gland that is extremely underdeveloped. Genetics or the mother's intake of radioactive iodine medication may play a role in some of these cases. In other cases, the cause is unknown. Lack of a well-developed thyroid gland at birth leads to congenital hypothyroidism. If your infant is diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism, he or she will need to take thyroid hormone medication for the duration of life.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

what are thyroid disorders ?
Thyroid disorders are disorders that affect your thyroid gland. Your thyroid gland is located in you...
what does the tightness in my throat have to do with my thyroid ?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
If thyroid enlargement occurs very slowly, one may not notice the slow increase in size or have any ...
who is at risk for thyroid disease ?
You are at a higher risk of thyroid disease if you are elderly, have recently given birth, or ha...
will i have stitches that need to be removed after my thyroid surgery ?
This depends on your thyroid surgeon. Some surgeons use small external stitches which are removed wi...