question

Could my child be born without a thyroid gland?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Donna Hill Howes, RN
answer

In rare cases, children can be born without a thyroid gland or with a thyroid gland that is extremely underdeveloped. Genetics or the mother's intake of radioactive iodine medication may play a role in some of these cases. In other cases, the cause is unknown. Lack of a well-developed thyroid gland at birth leads to congenital hypothyroidism. If your infant is diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism, he or she will need to take thyroid hormone medication for the duration of life.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Your Thyroid: What You Need to Know
Your Thyroid: What You Need to Know
Your thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland found at the base of your neck that has a broad influence over a variety of bodily systems. When it is functi...
Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Your thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck, just below your Adam’s apple. The thyroid gland releases hormones that regul...
Can a thyroid problem cause night sweats?
Night sweats can be associated with both underactive or overactive thyroid function. Learn more from...
What foods should I avoid if I have an underactive thyroid?
If you have an underactive thyroid, some foods to avoid are raw cruciferous veggies and processed so...