How do fiber supplements interact with medications and food?

Given the variety of fiber supplements, there are a host of possible interactions. The combination of some diabetes medicines and fiber supplements can lower the effectiveness of the diabetes drugs. This includes glyburide and metformin. You also may need to wait several hours after taking a fiber supplement in order to use these drugs. If you take cholesterol-lowing drugs known as bile acid sequestrants, the use of psyllium or other soluble fibers may make your cholesterol levels go lower (possibly too low). The use of fiber with tricyclic antidepressants may decrease their effectiveness. These drugs include amitriptyline, imipramine (Tofranil), and doxepine (Sinequan). The use of soluble fiber like psyllium may reduce the effectiveness of carbamazepine, digoxin, and lithium. Talk to your doctor about everything that you take before starting on a fiber supplement regimen.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Veggies that Protect Your Health—and Refined Ones that Don’t
What do Forrest Whitaker, Bill Clinton and Carrie Underwood have in common? They’re all vegetarians. And if they dodge French fries and hushpuppies, t...
What should I know about vitamins with minerals before taking it?
Before taking therapeutic vitamins with minerals, you should provide your doctor with your complete ...
Why should I do a liquid nutritional cleanse?
Caroline M. Apovian, MDCaroline M. Apovian, MD
A liquid nutritional cleanse is a great way to cleanse the body and jump start a diet plan; it's bas...
Why Should I Avoid Non-Fat Salad Dressing?