How does fiber make me feel full?

Not only do high fiber sources like fruits and vegetables tend to be low in calories, but the fiber they contain slows digestion, which helps to keep you feeling full. For example, an apple is more filling than apple juice because of the fiber it contains. Additionally, foods that contain fiber often take longer to chew, giving you time to realize that you are satisfied on a smaller portion. A high fiber diet has also been linked to other health benefits including lower blood cholesterol levels, better blood sugar control, and bowel regularity.
Since foods rich in fiber absorb a lot of water and stay in the stomach longer, they may help create a full feeling long after a meal is finished.

Because of the bulk they add to a meal, high-fiber foods also require more chewing than many low-fiber foods, so you are likely to eat less, eat slower, and still feel satisfied. High-fiber foods also tend to be low in calories and fat.

Weight Watchers offers a comprehensive approach to weight loss that can help you reach your goals.
High fiber foods digest much more slowly in the body. Therefore, food stays in your stomach longer helping you to feel full faster and longer as well. High fiber foods also expand more in the presence of liquids- so when you drink water while eating foods high in fiber, it will expand to take up more room in your stomach, helping you to feel fuller.
Many of us may associate fiber with better health and increased toilet time, but fiber is the speed bump of your gastrointestinal interstate. It slows everything way down.

Technically, it works by slowing the transit of food across the ileocecal valve (which sends signals from the small intestines to the large intestines)—keeping your stomach fuller for longer.

The result: A greater feeling of satiety and increase of appetite-suppressing CCK-like signals (CCK is a peptide in the gastrointestinal tract that signals fullness).

Besides controlling blood sugar levels and decreasing insulin levels, fiber also reduces calorie intake for up to 18 hours a day.

This is why getting an adequate daily supply of fiber—and loading up at breakfast—can help you lose weight.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

How to Cut Calories: Add Fresh Mushrooms
Here's a simple way to slash major calories from some of your favorite comfort foods—and you won't miss a thing. When you're making lasagna, sloppy j...
How much fat should I eat if I want to lose weight?
Most successful weight-loss plans call for a reduction in both calories and fat, although fat is...
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
Want to shed pounds? These five foods can help you reach your weight-loss goals.
How Can I Eat Pizza and Still Lose Weight?