Is migraine a psychological disorder?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Migraine is definitely a real, biological condition that is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain and nervous system.

Although stress is a common trigger for migraine, this does not mean migraine is an emotional or psychological disorder. Most real medical conditions get worse when we're under stress-stomach problems, chest pain, tremors, and even epilepsy. Stress doesn't cause any of these medical conditions - but it can make symptoms more apt to occur - just like migraines.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

Is Your Headache a Migraine?
Is Your Headache a Migraine?
Nearly everyone has a headache at some point—some worse than others. But if the pain is really intense, you might assume you’ve got a migraine. Well, ...
Whom should I see to get help for migraines?
If you are suffering from migraine headaches, you should talk to your family doctor. There are many ...
What's the best way to talk with my doctor about my migraines?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
When you are initially seen for your headaches, you will likely have many questions about your h...
Are Migraines Hereditary?
Are Migraines Hereditary?