At what age do migraines usually start?

Migraines most commonly start around the age of puberty. In this video, Adel Olshansky, MD, a neurologist at West Hills Hospital, says that migraines can start earlier in children, but this is less frequently seen.
Migraines can actually start at a very young age. In this video, Mark Green, MD, director of the Center for Headache and Pain Medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, talks about common symptoms among children.
Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Migraine typically affects people in their late teens and young adulthood, although it also occurs in childhood and later adulthood. Before puberty, migraine is far less common, typically affecting about 5 percent of children, with boys affected slightly more often than girls. Once puberty begins, hormones, especially estrogen, play a major role in the development of headaches. Changes in headache patterns occur predictably in many girls and women, with headache changes linked to changing levels of hormones.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
When Jay Silverheels portrayed Tonto in TV’s The Lone Ranger, he wore a simple headband across his forehead. Johnny Depp amped up the character’s cost...
Is migraine a psychological disorder?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Migraine is definitely a real, biological condition that is caused by chemical imbalances in the...
What should I know after visiting a migraine doctor?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
When you leave each appointment with your migraine doctor, make sure you can answer all of these...
What Should I Ask My Doctor About Migraines?