Are migraine headaches life threatening?

Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Migraine headaches, while possibly debilitating, are not life threatening. However, headaches in general can be a sign of a serious condition. The new onset of headache or a significant change in a chronic headache pattern can indicate a serious problem and needs to be evaluated by a physician.

While migraine headaches may not be life threatening themselves, they could be a sign of a life-threatening problem such as meningitis, infection, or tumors. It is important to see your doctor to rule out any of these potential dangers.

You should also be careful when taking your prescribed medications for migraines. Taking drugs, such as ibuprofen, in large quantities or for an extended period of time, may cause bleeding, ulcers, and abdominal pain.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
When Jay Silverheels portrayed Tonto in TV’s The Lone Ranger, he wore a simple headband across his forehead. Johnny Depp amped up the character’s cost...
How do I manage my aura phase risk on a daily basis?
To manage the risk of experiencing a migraine and its aura phase, it is important to figure out what...
What are good sources of information about migraines and other headaches?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Some of the best sites for getting reliable and up-to-date headache information are managed by n...
Does Alcohol Trigger Migraines?
Does Alcohol Trigger Migraines?