What drugs or foods may interact with hormone therapy for menopause?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Tell your doctor about any medications or supplements you're taking. The hormones estrogen and progestin can interact with other drugs and change how they work. Some medications can also raise or lower the level of estrogen in your blood. Your doctor may need to adjust your other medications before you start or stop hormone therapy.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Menopause

The Best Foods to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Hot flashes aren’t the only unwelcome part of menopause—the change also brings plenty of unsolicited advice. Friends and relatives who have already go...
How many stages are there during menopause?
Staness JonekosStaness Jonekos
Here are the three stages of menopause: Perimenopause begins about 6-8 years before you reach men...
As a menopausal woman, what can I do about my increased anxiety?
As a menopausal woman it is important that you identify the symptoms of increased anxiety that you'r...
How Can a Woman Treat Vaginal Dryness Caused by Menopause?