Should I talk to my doctor about perimenopause?

Discuss your perimenopausal symptoms with your doctor as part of your regular checkup. Although perimenopause is a normal process that happens naturally as a woman gets older, some of the symptoms can be troubling. Your doctor can help you understand which symptoms are normal and which may be unusually severe or which might indicate a problem. Many perimenopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes and vaginal dryness, can be helped with medication if necessary.

It's a good idea to talk to your doctor about perimenopause so you know what to expect and can prepare for the future. It also makes sense because you want to make sure what you’re experiencing is in fact the transition into menopause and not something else. Some women do not have any noticeable symptoms, but many women do experience physical changes that impact their day-to-day life. If you fall into this category, you'll want to know what treatments and strategies can help. That's why I suggest getting the conversation going early so that when symptoms arise that need attention, you’re armed with information.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Natural Ways to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Natural Ways to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Menopause, the time in a woman’s life when her menstrual cycle stops, typically starts after age 45. “The change,” as it’s commonly called, happens wh...
How does hormone replacement therapy (HRT) affect skin?
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT), the use of hormones to replace estrogen loss during menopause, ca...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
Best Treatment for Menopause and Depression