Should I talk to my doctor about perimenopause?

It's a good idea to talk to your doctor about perimenopause so you know what to expect and can prepare for the future. It also makes sense because you want to make sure what you’re experiencing is in fact the transition into menopause and not something else. Some women do not have any noticeable symptoms, but many women do experience physical changes that impact their day-to-day life. If you fall into this category, you'll want to know what treatments and strategies can help. That's why I suggest getting the conversation going early so that when symptoms arise that need attention, you’re armed with information.

Discuss your perimenopausal symptoms with your doctor as part of your regular checkup. Although perimenopause is a normal process that happens naturally as a woman gets older, some of the symptoms can be troubling. Your doctor can help you understand which symptoms are normal and which may be unusually severe or which might indicate a problem. Many perimenopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes and vaginal dryness, can be helped with medication if necessary.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Staying Healthy After Menopause
Staying Healthy After Menopause
If you’re going through menopause and would like to avoid hormones, there are many things that may help. Here are some suggestions for how to deal wit...
Can exercise help in dealing with hot flashes?
Though you may think you're hot and sweaty enough without the help of a treadmill, exercise may help...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
How Does Menopause Affect My Risk of Heart Disease?