How can menopause affect foot health?

James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatric Medicine
Unless countered by medications or exercise, the loss of estrogen and other hormonal changes during menopause can lower bone density, possibly leading to osteoporosis. This condition can raise the risk of stress fractures in any of the bones of the foot. Stress fractures are hairline breaks in the bone; unless treated appropriately, they can worsen and cause the bones to shift out of place.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Staying Healthy After Menopause
Staying Healthy After Menopause
If you’re going through menopause and would like to avoid hormones, there are many things that may help. Here are some suggestions for how to deal wit...
How can I relieve sleeping problems during menopause?
To relieve sleeping problems during menopause you'll need to manage menopausal symptoms that interfe...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Can I Tell When a Hot Flash Will Be Coming?