How do hot flashes occur?

For 85% of women, menopause can really heat things up -- and not in a good way. Though the exact cause of hot flashes is unknown, scientists think the drop in estrogen triggers a malfunction in the area of the brain that regulates the body's thermostat. When this happens, the brain thinks the body is overheating and tells the nervous system to release body heat ASAP. The result for you is intense hot spells that can turn you red and drench you in sweat. The quicker you go through menopause, the more intense your symptoms are likely to be. Smoking, being overweight, stress, and not exercising all increase the likelihood of hot flashes and night sweats. The good news is, only 20% of menopausal women will have hot flashes that impair their quality of life, says JoAnn Manson, chief of preventive medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Continue Learning about Menopause

6 Things You Need to Know About Hormone Therapy
If you’re going through menopause or perimenopause, you may be experiencing symptoms such as hot flashes, sleep problems, vaginal dryness or changes i...
If menopause isn't an illness, why should I see my doctor?
Menopause can cause serious symptoms in some women. Talk with your doctor about any changes that are...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
Can I Tell When a Hot Flash Will Be Coming?