How do hot flashes occur?

For 85% of women, menopause can really heat things up -- and not in a good way. Though the exact cause of hot flashes is unknown, scientists think the drop in estrogen triggers a malfunction in the area of the brain that regulates the body's thermostat. When this happens, the brain thinks the body is overheating and tells the nervous system to release body heat ASAP. The result for you is intense hot spells that can turn you red and drench you in sweat. The quicker you go through menopause, the more intense your symptoms are likely to be. Smoking, being overweight, stress, and not exercising all increase the likelihood of hot flashes and night sweats. The good news is, only 20% of menopausal women will have hot flashes that impair their quality of life, says JoAnn Manson, chief of preventive medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Continue Learning about Menopause

All About Perimenopause
All About Perimenopause
Between mood swings and weight fluctuations, perimenopause can make you feel like a teenager again—and not necessarily in a good way. Hormonal changes...
What questions should I ask my doctor about menopause?
Review the following questions about menopause so you're prepared to discuss this important heal...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
How Do Perimenopause and Menopause Affect Sleep Quality?