What increases my risk for small cell lung cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Although most cases of lung cancer are diagnosed after age 45, diagnosis does not usually happen until symptoms are apparent, long after the cancer first developed. Several factors affect your risk of developing small cell lung cancer. By far the most important risk factor to consider is smoking, which accounts for 90 percent of all cases of lung cancer (both small cell and non-small cell). Risk from smoking accumulates over time, so the longer and more frequently you smoke, the more likely you are to get lung cancer. As soon as you quit smoking, your risk begins to diminish.

Other risk factors include second-hand smoke, smoking marijuana, exposure to asbestos or radon, air pollution, radiation treatments directed at your chest to destroy other cancers, and personal and family history.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer

My Story: Ed and Lung Cancer
My Story: Ed and Lung Cancer
After a life-changing lung cancer diagnosis, Ed was told he only had a few weeks left to live. Watch Oncology Nurse Navigator Carey Baumann speak with...
Chemoradiation Therapy for Stage III Lung Cancer
Radiation and chemotherapy are commonly used treatment options for many types of cancer, including lung cancer. Chemotherapy uses drugs to destroy can...
Treatment Options for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is the name for several different types of lung cancer whose treatment and prognosis are often similar. According t...
What is the survival rate for older adults after surgery for lung cancer?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Older adults are among the rapidly growing number of those diagnosed with lung cancer. The good news...