How does smoking cause lung cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

In 2008, workers from bowling alleys and pool halls represented the highest number of work-related lung cancer deaths, likely due to exposure of smoke. Other occupations that resulted in a high number of lung cancer deaths included scientists, ship builders, beauticians, tobacco manufacturers, iron foundries and coal miners. Job-related exposure to silica dust, asbestos, uranium, and nuclear material also increase the risk for developing work-related lung cancer.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer

Biomarker Testing for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
More than 200,000 Americans are diagnosed with lung cancer annually. Every case is different, and certain treatments work better for some than for oth...
Lung Cancer: How to Get the Most Out of Treatment
Lung cancer treatment can take a considerable toll on patients, both physically and mentally. Fortunately, there are things you can do to improve your...
How Should My Lung Cancer Doctor Talk to Me?
What, Other Than smoking, Causes Lung Cancer?