How does asbestos cause lung cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Asbestos is a mineral that is made up of tiny fibers and can be found naturally in the environment. It was often used to make building materials in the United States. If a person is exposed to large amounts of asbestos, the fibers can eventually get stuck in their lungs and cause problems. These problems include damage to the cells that make up the lungs, as well as damage to the cells that line the chest and abdomen. Once these cells have been damaged, they might change and become a cancer. Cancers linked to asbestos are slow to develop, and it may be 15 to 30 years from the time asbestos accumulated in the lungs to the time the cancers are diagnosed.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer

Should I be worried about small cell lung cancer?
Sharecare Ad Target UserSharecare Ad Target User
If you are a smoker, you should be worried about small-cell lung cancer, because smokers develop lun...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with lung cancer?
In caring for a person with lung cancer, it is important to remember the effects the disease has, bo...
Are There Diseases That Predispose Me to Lung Cancer?
Why Doesn't Lung Cancer Get as Much Attention as Other Cancers?