Is there a cure for small cell lung cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There is not so much a cure for cancer as there is treatment, such as chemotherapy. The best chances for survival are when the cancer is diagnosed early, and treatment is begun before the cancer has grown or spread. Success of treatment also depends on the type of lung cancer a person has, with non-small cell lung cancer being treated successfully more often. Sixty to 70 percent of people live longer than five years after diagnosis and treatment if their lung cancer is a non-small cell lung cancer that is diagnosed and treated early. For people whose cancer has metastasized (spread) to other locations in the body, this rate drops to 2 percent.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer

What is small cell lung cancer?
Small cell lung cancer is often a lethal disease, although it can be cured, and chances are you'll b...
What are the different types of lung cancer?
The two broad classes of lung cancer are non-small-cell lung carcinoma and small-cell lung carcinoma...
How is small cell lung cancer treated?
The most common treatment for small cell lung cancer is chemotherapy. Chemotherapy medications are t...
How Should My Lung Cancer Doctor Talk to Me?