What happens if I choose not to treat my lung cancer?

Due to the side effects of treatment on an advanced stage of cancer, some people diagnosed with lung cancer decide not to undergo treatment. In this case, supportive or palliative care may be best. Unlike other cancer treatments, supportive care aims to reduce the discomfort associated with disease progression rather than reducing the cancer or prolonging lifespan. It involves reduction in difficulty breathing, pain and anxiety. It often involves spiritual and psychological counseling. Local hospice programs who offer supportive care exist in most areas. Your doctor can put you in touch with such programs.

If you choose not to treat your lung cancer, likely the cancer will grow and spread, causing pain, difficulty breathing, harm to affected organs and could possibly cause death.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer Treatment

4 Types of Lung Cancer Treatments
4 Types of Lung Cancer Treatments
In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD, discusses the different treatment options for lung cancer, and why choosing a treatment depends on a number of facto...
What is the benefit of early palliative care for lung cancer?
Thomas A. Hensing, MDThomas A. Hensing, MD
There was a study published in The New England Journal of Medicine of patients with advanced lun...
What doctors and specialists treat lung cancer?
Daniel A. Nader, DODaniel A. Nader, DO
Lung cancer should be managed by a multidisciplinary team. The team usually will include a pulmonolo...
Is There a Cure for Lung Cancer?
Is There a Cure for Lung Cancer?