How can drinking water help my seasonal allergies?

Seasonal allergies are brutal on the body's ability to stay hydrated. Drink lots of water to flush your system and support the elimination of the foreign irritants in your system. Hydrating also thins out mucus and supports sinus drainage. Sinus congestion also leads to dry mouth and the decrease in the presence of protective saliva. This can lead to an increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Avoid beverages that contain alcohol or caffeine as they are dehydrating. The goal is to drink 8 (6-8 oz) glasses of water per day.

Continue Learning about Living With & Managing Allergies

How can I manage my seasonal allergy symptoms?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
Here are my top tips for dealing with pesky pollen and seasonal allergy:It all starts with nutrition...
What are some tips for dealing with allergies?
The best tip for dealing with allergies is to avoid being exposed to whatever triggers the allergic ...
Is there such a thing as an allergy-free room?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
When I was in training to be an allergist at a New York hospital, an industrialist who had aller...
Will moving alleviate my seasonal allergies?
Moving will not alleviate seasonal allergies. People who are allergic to pollen are often sensitive ...