How many people get mouth cancer?

According to the most recent statistics from the American Cancer Society in 2011, some 34,300 new cases of oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancer (mouth cancer) are diagnosed each year.

Your dentist has the skills and tools to ensure that early signs of cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified. Together, you and your dentist can fight and win the battle against oral cancer. Know the early signs and see your dentist regularly.

Each year, about 35,000 people are diagnosed with mouth cancer in the United States. Mouth cancer kills about 8,000 people each year. African-Americans are more likely than Caucasians to get mouth cancer, and their death rate from it is almost twice as high.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

How long will I survive with mouth cancer?
Mouth cancer (oral cancer) is not an immediate death sentence, but it can be life-threatening if...
Should I talk to my doctor about my mouth cancer symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Make sure to tell your dentist about any problems you have when chewing, swallowing, speaking or mov...
How common is oral cancer?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Roughly 43,200 Americans are diagnosed with oral or pharyngeal cancer every year, and more than 8,00...
Is mouth cancer serious?
Mouth cancer can be fatal. The National Cancer Institute estimates that about 40,000 people in the U...