How many tobacco-related deaths occur each year in the United States?

Cigarette smoking kills almost a half a million people every year in the U.S. alone, primarily from cancer (41%), heart disease (32.7%), and respiratory diseases (26.3%). Smoking causes nearly one out of every five deaths. That's a lot of loved ones lost forever.
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD
Every lung cancer patient is typically tobacco related. But it is possible for a nonsmoker to get lung cancer.  A lot of heart diseases and lung diseases are all tobacco related. Tobacco is a carcinogenic
About 400,000 people die from tobacco-related diseases, such as getting lung cancer from it, or esophageal cancer, or bladder cancer, or heart disease, or other direct results of tobacco.  But there are a lot of other people we think may actually die from it as well because they get depressed because of lack of desire to have sex, and other things, and may commit suicide, etc., but the going answer is 400,000 a year in the United States.
Joseph I. Miller Jr., MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
This number is a little difficult estimate, but some published estimates state that 450,000-500,000 people die each year from tobacco related products.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

How can smoking and drinking affect my skin?
You already know what damage the sun can do. Drinking and smoking dehydrate you. Nicotine acts as a ...
How does smoking affect my appearance?
Jan CampbellJan Campbell
Smoking dehydrates and deprives the skin of oxygen and can increase the signs of aging on your f...
How Does Smoking Affect My Risk of Developing Cancer?
Can I Reverse the Aging Process Caused by Smoking?