How does nicotine affect the body and how long does it stay?

When you inhale smoke, nicotine is carried deep into your lungs. There it is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and carried throughout your body. Nicotine affects many parts of the body, including your heart and blood vessels, your hormones, the way your body uses food (your metabolism), and your brain. Nicotine can be found in breast milk and even in mucus from the cervix of a female smoker. During pregnancy, nicotine freely crosses the placenta and has been found in amniotic fluid and the umbilical cord blood of newborn infants.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

I know smoking causes cancer. Does it cause anything else?
Joseph I. Miller Jr., MDJoseph I. Miller Jr., MD
Smoking can cause many non cancer medical conditions including strokes, heart attacks, emphysema, an...
Does smoking increase my risk for kidney problems?
SCAISCAI
Smoking can certainly contribute to kidney damage. It is a primary risk factor for a condition calle...
Under 40? Here's Another Reason to Quit Smoking Now
Skin Cancer and Smokers
Skin Cancer and Smokers