What do collagen and elastin do?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Collagen and elastin are the structure of the skin that maintains both elasticity and firmness. Fibroblast cells create both collagen and elastin matrix that can be activated by glycolic acid and other peels. The special fibroblast cells are found in the papillary level of the second layer of the skin (dermis). Many creams and lotions are marketed to promote collagen formation by fibroblastic activiation.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

What role does humidity play in skin moisture?
Environmental humidity plays a large role in skin moisture. When humidity is low, water can be drawn...
What can I teach my daughter so that she will have healthy skin for life?
The recipe for keeping skin healthy for life is just keeping her insides healthy. So choose healthy ...
Is a massage with scented oils better for your skin?
While there are many benefits to massage - relaxation, the release of muscle tension - there's also ...
How Does Tanning Cause Skin Damage?
How Does Tanning Cause Skin Damage?