How can I dress appropriately when walking outside?

In order to dress appropriately, I suggest having breathable clothing. By this, I mean having material that is light such as dri-fit material. This type of material will allow your body to breath as compared to material that is made of cotton. You want your body to be able successful cool itself when exercising and having a heavy shirt will prevent this from happening. The same goes for shorts.

Depending on the weather in your area, it is important to dress for the weather.

Before heading out on your walk, check the current weather conditions and local radar for any bad weather. Take precautions if there is extreme weather headed your way.

If it is a cooler day, you may want to layer. A win-breaker style jacket or a sweatshirt style jacket will be great to start your walk; a long sleeve style t-shirt underneath and/or a tank top depending on how brisk of a walker you are. (As you progress you can remove the outer layer or two.) Sweatpants or even jeans are ok to walk in with a good pair of walking sneakers or shoes.

Conversely, if it is extremely warm or hot out, a pair of shorts and a t-shirt or tank top would be suffice. Don't forget to protect your skin with sun block and bring water with you to rehydrate no matter what the temperature.

A good rule of thumb is to wear a good pair of walking/running shoes, comfortable clothing (any brand of athletic clothing is fine), and a hat for protection from the sun or cold. I hope this helps and have fun!

Continue Learning about Walking