What causes hyperbilirubinemia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Hyperbilirubinemia is a result of an elevated level of bilirubin in the blood. Bilirubin is a by-product of the normal process of red blood cell RBC) breakdown. During intrauterine life, the placenta removes bilirubin from the fetal system. At the moment of birth the liver has to take over this process. In addition the fetal red blood cells are being replaced by adult-type red blood cells, leading to an increased rate of RBC breakdown. It is the combination of these two physiologic events that result in physiologic jaundice.

Continue Learning about Anemia

My Story: Nikkie and IDA
My Story: Nikkie and IDA
Iron-deficiency anemia, or IDA, is when you have unhealthy blood cells due to not having enough iron present in the body. In this video, Nikkie shares...
The Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Anemia
About 1.5 million adults in the United States have rheumatoid arthritis (RA), a condition in which the immune system attacks and damages the lining of...
My Story: Julie and IDA
My Story: Julie and IDA
A severe Crohn's flare-up sent Julie to the ER. Crohn's disease was not allowing her body to properly absorb iron, leading to iron-deficiency anemia a...
A Guide to Understanding Your Iron Levels
Iron deficiency anemia (IDA) occurs when the body doesn't have enough iron. As a result, the body is unable to synthesize adequate amounts of hemoglob...