Is making New Year's resolutions a good idea?

Katie Davis
Making a New Year's resolution is a great idea, as it means you are taking time to evaluate yourself and your life over the past year and discover what you would like to see change during the next year. The important part about making a resolution is to keep it simple and achievable. And instead of making only a year-long resolution, how about taking that resolution and breaking it down into quarterly or monthly 'mini-resolutions'? That may keep you better motivated to keep working all the way until next New Year's Eve.
While a lot of people who make New Year's resolutions generally find them hard to keep, research shows that making resolutions can be useful. People who make resolutions are 10 times more likely to attain their goals than people who don't make any. Psychologically speaking, the end of a year generally includes self-reflection. Think about what was good about the year. Review the moments that were trying or hard - and all of the moments in-between. The beginning of a New Year can represent a fresh clean slate. It can be a time of new found hope and motivation.
Judy Caplan

New Year's resolutions are always a good idea. A fresh start and a clean canvas provide an opportunity for change. When you commit to change, whether verbalized or not, you are taking the first step to whatever it is you want to accomplish. Change can be a rocky road with many bumps along the way. The key to achieving success is to not give up. Navigating the ups and downs is what leads to change. It is learning to adapt, be flexible, and most importantly how to be kind to yourself. Don't give up when you slip, put pen to paper and make a new plan. Success is in the details.

Continue Learning about Healthy Resolutions

Five New Year's Resolutions from an ER Doc
As I helped pull my next patient off the EMS gurney onto the stretcher, he clutched his chest, disappointment heavy on his face as he confessed that h...
How can I keep my New Year's resolution to stop smoking?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Making a true commitment that is from your head and from your heart is the best starting place. Then...
How can visualization help me stick to my resolution?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
Decades of research have demonstrated that visualization – or imagery – contributes to behavioral su...
HMSA and Blue Zones Project Launch 3 New Hawai’I Communities