What food group do beans belong to?

Beans can be counted either as vegetables or in the meat, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and nuts group. Generally, if you regularly eat meat, poultry and fish you can count beans in the vegetable group. One-half cup of cooked beans is one serving. Those who seldom eat meat, poultry or fish, such as vegetarians, should count some of the beans they eat in the meat and beans group. One-fourth cup of beans counts as one ounce of meat, poultry or fish.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

How much dairy should I eat per day?
Stick with dairy products that are 1% fat or less, or use dairy substitutes and aim for 3 servings (...
How do I ingest 4-5 servings of legumes, nuts or seeds weekly?
A serving of beans (legumes) is just 1/2 cup. Learn more from our experts about servings of legumes,...
What are some well-balanced breakfasts?
Make oatmeal with milk (non- or low-fat) for more protein. Learn more from our experts about balance...
Are there reliable websites I can visit for nutrition information?
Visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website, www.eatright.org for reliable nutrition inform...