What food group do beans belong to?

Beans can be counted either as vegetables or in the meat, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and nuts group. Generally, if you regularly eat meat, poultry and fish you can count beans in the vegetable group. One-half cup of cooked beans is one serving. Those who seldom eat meat, poultry or fish, such as vegetarians, should count some of the beans they eat in the meat and beans group. One-fourth cup of beans counts as one ounce of meat, poultry or fish.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Seeking Healthy Food Cultures
Seeking Healthy Food Cultures
Michael Moore’s movie, Where to Invade Next, shows the filmmaker “invading” other countries to seize their solutions to social problems for use here a...
How should I choose healthy meats and meat substitutes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some tips on how to choose healthy meats and meat substitutes: Eat most often: Fish: tro...
How do I ingest 4-5 servings of legumes, nuts or seeds weekly?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
This is easy! A serving of beans (legumes) is just 1/2 cup. A serving of nuts or seeds is 1 oz which...
Supermarket savvy: decoding PLU labels on fruits and veggies