Why should I eat healthy food when I'm hungry?

The sensation of hunger is instinctual. For many people, the first twinge of hunger sends them searching for food, often before they need to eat. Feeling hungry at the start of a meal is good, but eating every time you feel hungry can result in overeating.

You can monitor your appetite and eat accordingly. Before a meal, rate your hunger on a scale of zero to 4:

0 = not hungry
1 = slightly hungry
2 or 3 = moderately hungry
4 = overly hungry, starving.

Your goal should be to eat when you are between 2 and 3. If you're eating at 0 or 1, it may be for an emotional reason (such as anxiety) or a situational reason (seeing a food commercial on TV).

Meanwhile, if your hunger level is 4, you may be vulnerable to overeating and should pay attention to eating slowly. And try not to go for long periods between meals.

A registered dietitian can help you monitor your appetite and eat in quantities and at times that are best for you.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Six-Meal Diversity Deal
Six-Meal Diversity Deal
Are you still stuck in the three-meals-a-day mindset? You're not alone. Many people get hung up on the misconception that eating anything beyond their...
How can I include heart-healthy proteins in my diet?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The following tips show how you can eat heart-healthy proteins from a variety of sources. For b...
How much fish should I eat per week?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
People who eat fish often have lower heart disease rates. Based on this, the American Heart Associat...
What is an ideal breakfast choice?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Oatmeal, both slow-cooked and instant, can help lower cholesterol levels thanks to its soluble fiber...