How is stress diagnosed?

There is no specific test to diagnose stress. Typically, your healthcare professional conducts a variety of tests (which may include a personal and family health history, blood and urine tests and other assessments) to rule out various medical conditions. 

Because your symptoms may be similar to those of depression, your healthcare professional should also evaluate your mental state to determine if you may be suffering from a depressive or anxiety disorder. Symptoms associated with stress, anxiety and sleeplessness, for example, typically subside when the stress triggering them subsides. When these same symptoms are caused by depression or another mood disorder, however, they may not go away without medication or therapy.

If stress is identified as the culprit for your symptoms, you may want to ask your healthcare professional for stress management strategies and consider ways to control the stressors in your life -- before your health is affected.

Continue Learning about Stress

6 Tips for Calmer City Living
6 Tips for Calmer City Living
Staying calm isn’t always easy in the big city. Between the constant noise, traffic and air pollution, living or working in a relatively confined spac...
Why Is Stress So Important?
Why Is Stress So Important?
5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Heartburn and Indigestion
What Can I Do Every Day to Remain Centered?