Could losing one ovary cause irregular periods?

Losing one ovary doesn't cause irregular periods. One ovary makes very little changes to a woman's cycle.

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

Losing one ovary, as long as the remaining ovary is healthy, should not cause irregular periods.

The control of our menstrual cycles is a result of the communication between the brain and ovaries. The messengers are our hormones which are transported in the blood throughout the whole body. In a feed back system between the brain and the immature eggs, or primoridial follicles, an egg is selected for ovulation and the lining of the uterus grows and matures. After ovulation, the hormone levels gradually drop and then the uterine lining sloughs off. This is the menstrual period.

A female develops a huge number of primordial follicles even before birth. Although the number of follicles then begins to decrease through natural cell death, ovulation and age, there are a sufficient number in each ovary to respond to the hormone messengers and continue regular ovulation and menses even though only one ovary remains.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
What is the ovarian Pap test?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
The Pap smear test looks for precancer cells in the cervix. These cells can exist in this form for m...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Should a Woman on Hormone Therapy for Low Libido have Annual Mammogram?