How should I care for my incision after a hysterectomy?

If you've had an abdominal hysterectomy surgery, your incision will take longer to heal than the smaller incisions from a laparoscopic surgery. But basic care for the incisions is the same. Here's what to do:

You may take a shower after the first 48 hours, but do not soak in a bath, hot tub, or swimming pool. Wait until your incision is well healed (and any tape covering the incision has fallen off). It's okay to sit in a few inches of warm water—just don't let the water reach your incision, and don't put soap or shampoo in the water.

Call your doctor if you have any of these signs of infection:

• Ongoing red bleeding from your incision. (It's normal to have a small amount of bloody discharge—but not red bleeding—at home.)
  • Redness, swelling, separation, odor, or yellowish drainage from your incision.
  • Fever of 100.4 degrees F (38.0 degrees C) or greater.
  • Flulike symptoms (for example, chills, body ache, fatigue, or headache).
  • Increase in pain, or pain medication that isn't working.

Note: If you've had a vaginal hysterectomy, you won't need to take care of the incision. The internal stitches will dissolve on their own. When this happens—usually about 2 weeks after surgery—your vaginal discharge may increase or reoccur.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Tell Me Why… I Poop More During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
What are some physical symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?
Citrus Memorial HospitalCitrus Memorial Hospital
Some common premenstrual signs are irritability, impatience, bloating, and constipation.
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
What Exactly Is a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy?