What could cause me to get dizzy before my menstrual period?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

Progesterone is the dominant hormone before your menstrual period. There are progesterone receptors throughout the body so this hormone can affect many different body systems. One thing it does is slow the constriction of blood vessels when you change position. A slowing of constriction can cause a temporary decrease in blood flow to the brain when you stand up or turn quickly and this can result in dizziness. Stay well hydrated and move a tiny bit slower during this time if this is a problem for you.

Dr. Aparna Sridhar, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

This could be a premenstrual symptom. Some women have a complex interaction of hormonal variation and fluid balance in this time—keep yourself hydrated and you may feel better.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

The Truth About Hysterectomies
The Truth About Hysterectomies
Roughly one in nine women in the U.S. will have a hysterectomy, or surgery to remove the uterus, at some point in their lifetime. A healthcare provide...
What are natural treatments for polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Besides medication and surgery, many doctors encourage you to practice a healthier lifestyle that fo...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?