question

What could cause me to get dizzy before my menstrual period?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
answer

Progesterone is the dominant hormone before your menstrual period. There are progesterone receptors throughout the body so this hormone can affect many different body systems. One thing it does is slow the constriction of blood vessels when you change position. A slowing of constriction can cause a temporary decrease in blood flow to the brain when you stand up or turn quickly and this can result in dizziness. Stay well hydrated and move a tiny bit slower during this time if this is a problem for you.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Everything a Gynecologist Wants You to Know About Endometriosis
It’s estimated that more than 6.5 million women in the United States are affected by endometriosis. The chronic condition occurs when tissue from the ...
How do I manage my uterine prolapse on a daily basis?
Managing uterine prolapse should include methods to prevent it from progressing. Learn more from our...
How concerned should I be if my labia are unequal?
How concerned should I be if my labia are unequal? As with most parts of a woman’s body, asymmetry i...
11 Things Your Gyno Wishes You Knew About IUDs
11 Things Your Gyno Wishes You Knew About IUDs11 Things Your Gyno Wishes You Knew About IUDs11 Things Your Gyno Wishes You Knew About IUDs11 Things Your Gyno Wishes You Knew About IUDs
You've heard the myths. Now get the facts. An intrauterine device (IUD) is a small, flexible, T-shaped device that fits into your uterus to prevent t...