What could cause me to get dizzy before my menstrual period?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

Progesterone is the dominant hormone before your menstrual period. There are progesterone receptors throughout the body so this hormone can affect many different body systems. One thing it does is slow the constriction of blood vessels when you change position. A slowing of constriction can cause a temporary decrease in blood flow to the brain when you stand up or turn quickly and this can result in dizziness. Stay well hydrated and move a tiny bit slower during this time if this is a problem for you.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

What happens during a pelvic exam?
A pelvic examination is a painless, though sometimes slightly uncomfortable physical examination of ...
Why am I spotting 2 years after a partial hysterectomy?
Dr. Hugo D. Ribot, MDDr. Hugo D. Ribot, MD
The most likely reason for continuing to have bleeding after a "partial" hysterectomy is that a sub-...
How often should I have Pap smears after menopause?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
A woman who is no longer having menstrual periods, and has had normal Pap tests and negative HPV tes...
How Should I Prepare for a Gynecologist Appointment?