Is there a biological reason for female orgasm?

The purpose of an orgasm isn't solely to make you feel good. The biological purpose is to better the odds that this union between sperm and egg takes place.

On the woman's side, the mucous membranes that line the vaginal walls release fluids during intercourse so that the penis can slide with just the right amount of friction. As intensity and sensations build, the woman's brain tells the vagina and nearby muscles to contract. That contraction brings the penis in deeper and increases the chance of his sperm getting closer to the target. During an orgasm, the cervix, located at the top of the vagina, dips down like an anteater, and sucks semen in the cervix (the bottom of the uterus). The sperm is trapped in the cervical mucus until the release of the egg, and a signal then lets the sperm start the competitive swim up into the uterus.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Gynecology

The New Cervical Cancer Screening Guidelines
On an episode of the controversial show Girls, Hannah finds out she’s contracted HPV. When she tells her friend Shoshanna, Shoshanna says, “Jessa has ...
What gynecological conditions should I be aware of if I am over 65?
Angela T. Valle, MDAngela T. Valle, MD
There are a number of common gynecological conditions that you should be aware of if you are age 65 ...
Can I have children after an endometrial ablation?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
You should not have children after endometrial ablation. A long-term contraceptive plan is part of h...
Is It Safe to Wear a Panty Liner Every Day?