Are there other names for gout?

Flare ups of gout are known as acute gouty arthritis. Depending on the cause, gout may also be referred to as primary gout or secondary gout. Your doctor may refer to your symptoms in stages from least severe to most severe: asymptomatic hyperuricemia, acute gouty arthritis, intercritical gout, and chronic tophaceous gout.

Continue Learning about Gout

Keep Gout In Check
Keep Gout In Check
Swollen digits that often signal a gout attack are an ever-increasing menace. Overall prevalence of gout in North America has jumped two- to four-fold...
When should I call my doctor if I have gout?
If you're having an attack of gout, it is best to see your doctor right away so that he or she may e...
Are there different stages of gout?
William J. Martin, MDWilliam J. Martin, MD
Gout has three stages of development. The first stage is asymptomatic hyperuricemia, wherein a perso...
The Worst Foods for Gout
The Worst Foods for Gout