Why do some football players tape over their shoes?

Injury prevention is a key reason why athletes tape their feet and ankles, particularly in sports that carry a high risk of injury because of contact. Ankle taping can also help enhance the healing of foot and ankle injuries and allow an earlier return to competition after injuries such as sprains or bruises. Including tape over the shoes, called spatting, can add additional support. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

Why is there a warning sticker on all football helmets?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) has developed stan...
I get a ton of stingers when I hit, any way to stop it from happening?
A football stinger occurs when the brachial plexus, which is located on the base of the neck, is...
What's the best drill to measure the ability to fire off the ball?
In testing your ability to "fire off the ball," coaches are looking to measure explosive power witho...
Is lifting weights enough to prepare my body for playing football?
Lifting weights is a great start to preparing your body, however you should also add in cardio condi...