Why do some football players tape over their shoes?

Injury prevention is a key reason why athletes tape their feet and ankles, particularly in sports that carry a high risk of injury because of contact. Ankle taping can also help enhance the healing of foot and ankle injuries and allow an earlier return to competition after injuries such as sprains or bruises. Including tape over the shoes, called spatting, can add additional support. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

What's better for football - the traditional squat or lunges?
First determine the goal of the exercise, that can help you decide. There are merits for both lifts ...
What energy systems am I using when playing football?
The energy system demands of a football game as whole are aerobic for the most part. This is due...
How do I prevent receivers from slowing down prior to the catch?
Many times speed development neglects to train the subtle nuances that occur on the field, like ...
How would sports performance training help me as a football player?
A well designed sports performance training program will optimize the speed, agility and strength at...