How long are cooked meat leftovers safe to eat?

When it comes to leftover cooked meat, how do you know if it is still safe to eat? Too many people rely on scent and visual examination to determine the safety of eating leftovers -- a recipe for food-related illness. Here are guides to determine how long cooked meat leftovers can be safely eaten:
  • Cooked ground beef or turkey: 3 to 4 days
  • Deli meat: 3 to 5 days
  • Cooked pork: 3 to 4 days
  • Cooked poultry: 3 to 4 days
  • Cooked beef, bison, lamb: 3 to 4 days

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

How can I store Brazil nuts?
Brazil nuts will remain fresh for four to six months if they are kept in cool, dry place away from h...
How can I store cashew nuts?
They should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, where they will keep for about s...
How can I store pistachio nuts?
The nut meats, even those still in the shell should be stored in an airtight container in the refrig...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks. Have you ever op...