How can I store almonds?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Since almonds have a high fat content, it is important to store them properly to protect them from becoming rancid. Store shelled almonds in a tightly-sealed container in a cool, dry place away from exposure to sunlight. Keeping them cold will further protect them from rancidity and prolong their freshness. In the refrigerator, almonds will keep for several months; while in the freezer, they can be kept for up to one year. Shelled almond pieces will go rancid more quickly than whole shelled almonds. Almonds still in the shell have the longest shelf life.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...
Judy Caplan
Almonds, like all nuts, contain fats which can go rancid over time. Store almonds in the pantry in containers. If you do not use the almonds within two months put them in the refrigerator to keep fresh. Nuts have a bitter odor when they turn rancid. Always check the expiration date on the bag or can before eating.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

The Dos and Don’ts of Reheating Leftovers
According to some accounts, in 1953, C.A. Swanson & Sons had more than 500,000 pounds of unsold turkey after Thanksgiving. One employee suggested they...
How can I store miso?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Miso is generally sold in tightly sealed plastic or glass containers. To check for freshness, look f...
How can I store hazelnuts?
Store shelled hazelnuts in an airtight bag or container in the freezer, where they will stay fresh a...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks. Have you ever op...