Why do I get cramps in my fingers when I exercise?

You may get cramps in your fingers when you exercise for a couple of reasons.

First, have you been drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day? Cramping can be a cause of dehydration. Be sure to stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids throughout the day, primarily water. Avoid sugary drinks!

Second, if you are strength training, are you gripping the weights with full force? Often times individuals grip the weight more than needed. Of course you want to have a good grip on the weights to avoid losing your grip, but over-gripping may cause cramping.

Continue Learning about Fitness

How a Bus Ride Makes You Fit
How a Bus Ride Makes You Fit
Not getting the recommended 30 minutes of exercise each day? Then take the bus. Yep, a little public transportation may be just the ticket to getting...
The Benefits of Strong Hands and Knees
The Benefits of Strong Hands and Knees
Got a killer grip? And some decent thigh muscles? Good. It will probably help you stay out of trouble in later life. In a study of what happens to pe...
Top 5 Reasons to Track Your Fitness
Top 5 Reasons to Track Your Fitness
When you start a new fitness routine, learning how to use the equipment and practicing proper form can be difficult—but keeping yourself motivated can...
Can diet and exercise help treat obstructive sleep apnea?
Diet and exercise may be able to help ease symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea, especially exercise ...