Why do I get cramps in my fingers when I exercise?

You may get cramps in your fingers when you exercise for a couple of reasons.

First, have you been drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day? Cramping can be a cause of dehydration. Be sure to stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids throughout the day, primarily water. Avoid sugary drinks!

Second, if you are strength training, are you gripping the weights with full force? Often times individuals grip the weight more than needed. Of course you want to have a good grip on the weights to avoid losing your grip, but over-gripping may cause cramping.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Meet Donovan Green
Meet Donovan Green
Meet celebrity fitness trainer Donovan Green, author of No Excuses Fitness, creator of the Chair Workout and our expert Fitness Group and Challenges L...
How do I hold on to my dream of having a fit, healthy body?
Phil Holbrook , NASM Elite TrainerPhil Holbrook , NASM Elite Trainer
One can not only hold on to, but also accomplish having a fit and healthy body by setting specific g...
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Add exercise bands to your workout for a leaner, stronger physique.
Standing Leg and Butt Exercises
Standing Leg and Butt Exercises