question

Why do I get cramps in my fingers when I exercise?

Jonathan Penney
Jonathan Penney on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine
Fitness
answer

You may get cramps in your fingers when you exercise for a couple of reasons.

First, have you been drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day? Cramping can be a cause of dehydration. Be sure to stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids throughout the day, primarily water. Avoid sugary drinks!

Second, if you are strength training, are you gripping the weights with full force? Often times individuals grip the weight more than needed. Of course you want to have a good grip on the weights to avoid losing your grip, but over-gripping may cause cramping.

Continue Learning about Fitness

How This One Exercise Can Add Years to Your Life
What if there was one activity you could do for two hours each week that helped you live three years longer? Good news: There just might be. Better ne...
How a Bus Ride Makes You Fit
How a Bus Ride Makes You Fit
Not getting the recommended 30 minutes of exercise each day? Consider taking the bus or train. Yep, a little public transportation may be just the ti...
How to Cut Your Workout Time in Half
How to Cut Your Workout Time in Half
Experts recommend getting at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise at least 5 times a week. Don’t have 30 minutes? Don’t worry! You can cut your exerci...
Foam Rolling: What’s With All the Hype?
Foam Rolling: What’s With All the Hype?
Go into any gym, physical therapist’s office, or rehab center and you’ll probably find foam rollers stacked on the floor or hanging on a rack. Many pe...