In what situations is it appropriate to move an injured or ill person?

• When you are faced with immediate danger, such as fire, lack of oxygen, risk of explosion or a collapsing structure.
  • When you have to get to another person who may have a more serious problem. You may have to move a person with minor injuries to reach someone needing immediate care.
  • When it is necessary to give proper care. For example, if someone needed CPR, he or she might have to be moved from a bed because CPR needs to be performed on a firm, flat surface.

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

Should I tell EMS if I was in contact with body fluids while giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent disease transmission, tell EMS personnel at the scene or your health care provider if y...
What is expressed consent when giving emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Expressed consent means a conscious person understands your questions and gives you permission to gi...
What are Good Samaritan laws?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Good Samaritan laws were developed to encourage people to help others in emergency situations. ...
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?