In what situations is it appropriate to move an injured or ill person?

• When you are faced with immediate danger, such as fire, lack of oxygen, risk of explosion or a collapsing structure.
  • When you have to get to another person who may have a more serious problem. You may have to move a person with minor injuries to reach someone needing immediate care.
  • When it is necessary to give proper care. For example, if someone needed CPR, he or she might have to be moved from a bed because CPR needs to be performed on a firm, flat surface.

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

Should I tell EMS if I was in contact with body fluids while giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent disease transmission, tell EMS personnel at the scene or your health care provider if y...
If there are a lot bystanders at an emergency scene, should I help?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The presence of bystanders does not mean that a person is receiving help. You may have to help, ...
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?
What Is Asthma and How Is It Treated in the ER?