Why do I need a person's permission before giving emergency care?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

You need to ask a person's permission before giving emergency care because they have the right to say "No". If a person is conscious and capable of making the decision themselves, it is their decision to make. If your care is refused, you need to respect their wishes. You may call 911 or the local emergency number, but you cannot touch a person who refuses your help.

People have the legal right to accept or refuse emergency care. Therefore, before giving care to an injured or ill person, you must obtain the person’s permission. 

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

How can I protect myself when helping someone during a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, always take protective measures to avoid coming in contact with anot...
If there are a lot bystanders at an emergency scene, should I help?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The presence of bystanders does not mean that a person is receiving help. You may have to help, ...
How the American Red Cross Prepares for Disasters
What Is Asthma and How Is It Treated in the ER?