How can bystanders help an injured or ill person?

Bystanders may be able to tell you what happened or make the call for help while you give care. If a family member, friend or co-worker is present, he or she may know if the person is ill or has a medical condition.  Bystanders can also help to comfort the person and others at the scene. 

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

When can I give emergency care to a child or an infant without permission?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a condition is life threatening, permission or consent is implied if a parent or guardian is ...
Should I tell EMS if I was in contact with body fluids while giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent disease transmission, tell EMS personnel at the scene or your health care provider if y...
How can I protect myself when helping someone during a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, always take protective measures to avoid coming in contact with anot...
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?