Is it normal for a pregnant woman's body temperature to rise?

It is common for a woman’s body temperature to change during pregnancy. During pregnancy the woman's body generates additional heat due to:

• Increased metabolism
  • Elevated levels of hormones such as progesterone
  • Increased workload on the woman’s body a result of extra weight as the pregnancy progresses as well as the processing and fetal nutrients and waste products

Simultaneously the woman has increased peripheral circulation which leads to dissipation of heat from the body. Therefore it is not unusual that the combination of these factors lead to pregnant women feeling HOT yet having a measured body temperature within the normal range.

However while a slight increase in body temperature is not a concern, any time a pregnant woman’s temperature is 100.4 F or greater the healthcare provider needs to be contacted and the cause of the elevation identified and treated.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
What are "Pregnancy Category C" medications?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The FDA has created guidelines for drug companies to follow in regards to labeling medications and t...
How can I find support during pregnancy?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Support during pregnancy can come froma variety of sources. Family, both the partner and extended fa...
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?