Is it normal for a pregnant woman's body temperature to rise?

It is common for a woman’s body temperature to change during pregnancy. During pregnancy the woman's body generates additional heat due to:

• Increased metabolism
  • Elevated levels of hormones such as progesterone
  • Increased workload on the woman’s body a result of extra weight as the pregnancy progresses as well as the processing and fetal nutrients and waste products

Simultaneously the woman has increased peripheral circulation which leads to dissipation of heat from the body. Therefore it is not unusual that the combination of these factors lead to pregnant women feeling HOT yet having a measured body temperature within the normal range.

However while a slight increase in body temperature is not a concern, any time a pregnant woman’s temperature is 100.4 F or greater the healthcare provider needs to be contacted and the cause of the elevation identified and treated.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Do You Know What Meds Are Safe to Take While Pregnant?
Pregnancy—even in our high-tech era—still seems a bit magical. So it’s not surprising that there have always been some pretty far-out ideas about what...
Will chemotherapy prevent me from getting pregnant?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
You cannot depend on chemotherapy to prevent pregnancy, and getting pregnant while receiving chemoth...
Can being pregnant affect my skin texture?
Because of hormonal fluctuations, women can experience many skin changes during pregnancy. Some exam...
How Can I Deal with Lack of Sex Drive While I'm Pregnant?