If I have EPI, what high-calorie foods are good for me to eat?

If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) there are lots of reasonably healthy, high-calorie foods you can eat, like cheese and full fat milk, hamburger with cheese, meat coated in breadcrumbs, nuts, ice cream and full fat yogurts. The calorie content of food is usually printed on the packaging.

Having more calories in your food doesn’t necessarily mean you need to have separate food made for you. There are lots of easy ways to add calories to your food, like sprinkling extra cheese on top of pasta, potatoes, or pizza; dipping fruit or vegetables in peanut butter; adding extra raisins or nuts to your breakfast cereal; or adding a bit of soured cream or full fat yogurt to sauces. Your dietitian can give you lots of other great ideas.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

6 Reasons You May See Blood in Your Poop
Blood in your stool is a scary sight, especially when you don’t know what’s causing it. Sometimes it can be a sign of something serious, but most of t...
How long do I have to wait for a liver transplant?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If you need a transplant, your name will be placed on a national waiting list kept at the United Net...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
Is It Better to Take a Probiotic Pill or Live Culture Yogurt?