How can I exercise safely if I have retina disease?

Exercise prescription will depend on the clearance given by your physician. More often than not, you best form of exercise will be in the form of cardiovascular activity. Lifting heavy weight and taking part in contact sports may put you at harm of bursting blood vessels. You may be able to take part in jogging or biking but might be prescribed to just complete brisk walking.

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Sudden or severe increases in blood pressure inside the eye can cause vessels to rupture, worsening retinopathy. If you have significant retinopathy, do not lift heavy weights because this will cause the pressure in those vessels to increase. You should also avoid contact sports because of the risk of retinal detachment. Aerobic physical activities are usually fine, but your doctor may recommend brisk walking rather than running or jogging because of the jarring that can occur, possibly causing the delicate retinal blood vessels to leak blood or fluid.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

A Smart Diet for Healthy Eyes
A Smart Diet for Healthy Eyes
A low-glycemic-index diet has long been touted as a way to avoid blood sugar problems. But it seems this approach to eating may help keep your eyes in...
What is retroorbicularis oculi fat (ROOF)?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Some people have fat behind the muscle of the eyelid called ROOF (retroorbicularis oculi fat). I...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
Can Blindness Be Prevented?
Can Blindness Be Prevented?