Where should I take circumference measurements?

Circumference measurements are a great method to help track fat loss. An individual should use a standardized measuring tape in order to accurately obtain circumference measurements. Use the following locations on the body to measure circumference as they are good indicators of body composition change.
  • Neck
  • Chest (at the mid- or nipple-line)
  • Waist (at the narrowest part, usually above the navel)
  • Hips (with feet together, measure at the widest part of the buttocks)
  • Thighs (6 inches above the knee cap)
  • Calves
  • Biceps (upper arm)
It is very important to remember to be consistent with the measurement methods. The tape should be pulled snug and level around the area which is being measured.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

what is vo2 max ?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
VO2max is the maximal oxygen consumption or uptake. It's the most relevant measure of the cardioresp...
when should i do plyometric exercises ?
To get the most out of your plyometric exercises, you should perform them toward the beginning of a ...
what is oxygen uptake ?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
Oxygen uptake is VO2. It’s the oxygen consumption or uptake per kilogram of body weight. It's the mo...
how can i track my progress with my exercise program ?
One of the best ways to measure fitness progress is how you feel. After a week or so of exercise are...