What is the recommended serving size of whole grains?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Choose at least seven to eight servings a day, such as:
  • 1 slice bread;
  • 3/4 to 1 cup breakfast cereal;
  • 1/2 cup cooked cereal, grains, or pasta.
Toby Smithson

A serving is considered 16 grams of whole grain (ingredient) in a whole grain product. Some exact serving sizes of whole grain foods are: 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, 100% whole grain pasta, oatmeal, or other cooked grain; 1 slice 100% whole grain bread; or 1 ounce of 100% whole grain cereal. Check the label for the whole grain symbol to help you decipher if a product is a whole grain.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Munch On Healthy Proteins For Energy All Day
Whether you’re off for a brisk walk or a championship bout, it’s important to eat right so you don’t run out of steam. A study says the best way to do...
How can I eat healthfully if I crave salty, fatty foods?
Not only is food powerful medicine that can heal the body, it can also accelerate your metabolis...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
Is Obesity a Social Problem?
Is Obesity a Social Problem?