question

What is recreational eating?

Judy Caplan
Judy Caplan on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
answer
Recreational eating is when people eat for reasons other than hunger. It may be due to boredom, anxiety, enjoyment of food, or for a host of other reasons. Recreational eating can lead to overweight and obesity. It is important to be aware of your hunger signals or you can continually eat for the love of eating. The consequences can lead to overweight and ill health.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Are peanuts harmful if I eat too many?
Are peanuts harmful if I eat too many? Unless you have a peanut allergy, eating a large amount of pe...
What is pleasure food?
Pleasure food has been engineered, often through the addition of fat, salt, and sugar, to captivate ...
Is it better to eat salad before or after your meal?
There's evidence to suggest that eating a vegetable salad before a meal can help reduce the total ca...
7 Energy-Boosting Breakfasts Under 400 Calories
7 Energy-Boosting Breakfasts Under 400 Calories7 Energy-Boosting Breakfasts Under 400 Calories7 Energy-Boosting Breakfasts Under 400 Calories7 Energy-Boosting Breakfasts Under 400 Calories
These no-fuss meals take minutes to make—and will power you through the morning. Eating a healthy breakfast can help jump-start your day, but sometim...