What is recreational eating?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
Recreational eating is eating because you are in a social setting or simply because there is food around you. Recreational eating can still occur without satisfying toxic hunger or true hunger. Sometimes people just enjoy eating good-tasting food when it is offered, even though they are not feeling any symptoms directing us to eat. When most people eat in this way, they do it with junk food, not healthful, natural foods.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...
Judy Caplan
Recreational eating is when people eat for reasons other than hunger. It may be due to boredom, anxiety, enjoyment of food, or for a host of other reasons. Recreational eating can lead to overweight and obesity. It is important to be aware of your hunger signals or you can continually eat for the love of eating. The consequences can lead to overweight and ill health.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Are You a Captive Black Rhino?
Are You a Captive Black Rhino?
You may already know that the rhinoceros is being illegally hunted to near extinction. (A single horn can go for over $250,000 on the black market.) W...
How do I get in touch with my body's true hunger signals to eat healthy?
Dominique AdairDominique Adair
In my practice we use hunger scales a lot. Keep a food log for a few days, writing down everything y...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Can Eating Fat Help Me Lose Weight?
How Can Eating Fat Help Me Lose Weight?