question

What diet should I follow after I have my gallbladder removed?

Chad Kramer
Chad Kramer on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness Specialist
answer

After gallbladder surgery, many foods that were commonly eaten before the surgery now cause pain and discomfort. This is due to the body no longer being able to process certain foods well, at first, which can lead to a number of digestive issues while the body is trying to adapt. Avoid foods that are high in fat and acid content. Until the body has had the time it needs to heal and adjust to functioning without a gallbladder, refrain from eating red meat, pork, fried or greasy foods, spicy foods, butter, eggs and dairy products.

Limit (or totally eliminate) fruit juices (grape and apple are fine) and all caffeinated (even coffee and tea), carbonated or alcoholic beverages. Increase foods that help the biliary and digestive system such as lettuce, grains, fruits and vegetables (such as beets, tomatoes, avocadoes, grapes and carrots).

Slowly increase your intake of fiber. Small amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids such as flax seed oil and salmon have been shown to be beneficial. If a supplemental Omega-3 is needed, here is one that we recommend: http://www.dotfit.com/Super_Omega_3-pid-1002.html. During the first 2 to 4 weeks after surgery, slowly reintroduce these foods into the diet and eat smaller amounts of food at even intervals to help regulate bile production.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

How Your Diet Could Affect Your Thyroid
How Your Diet Could Affect Your Thyroid
If you’ve been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, or hypothyroidism, you may have heard that the foods you eat could affect your thyroid condition...
What should I consider when creating a diabetes meal plan?
Your provider and dietitian may recommend goals, but you will be the one who chooses plan. Learn mor...
What is the goal of nutrition therapy for diabetes?
The goals of nutrition therapy for diabetes include managing weight and reducing the need for additi...
7 Best Diets for Your Heart
7 Best Diets for Your Heart7 Best Diets for Your Heart7 Best Diets for Your Heart7 Best Diets for Your Heart
DASH, Ornish, Mediterranean and other eating plans your heart will thank you for. Heart disease remains the leading killer of American men and women,...