question

What is psychological stress?

Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
answer
There are two basic kinds of stress: psychological stress and physical stress. An infection would be an example of physical stress, whereas someone yelling at you, being demeaning, and threatening abuse are all example of psychological stress. Psychologic stress does have physiologic responses that can lead to physical symptoms and disease and so should not be thought of as not having a huge impact on disease. For example, diabetics under psychological stress may have trouble keeping their blood sugars under control.

Continue Learning about Stress

Feeling Sad? Let the Tears Flow
Feeling Sad? Let the Tears Flow
In a recent group support session, an active and generous participant choked up with emotion as she spoke of the anniversary of her husband’s passing....
A Healthy Way to Handle Everyday Stress
A Healthy Way to Handle Everyday Stress
An aggravating work email; a spat with your spouse; the dog gets sick, making you late for work … While little stressors like these are part of everyd...
The Power of a Pause to Improve Your Work and Life
We set up our itinerary so we could see and do as much as possible in eight days. I kept feeling like I was seeing everything, but nothing was being a...
7 Ways to Instantly De-Stress
7 Ways to Instantly De-Stress
You probably know some of the familiar feelings of stress: a racing heart and a mind that seems to be darting in every direction at once. But stress c...