What are good vegetable choices if I have diabetes?

Looking for a diabetes-friendly food? Follow Popeye's example. Spinach, kale, chard, and other leafy greens are loaded with vitamins, such as folate; minerals, such as magnesium; a range of phytonutrients; and insoluble fiber -- all of which have virtually no impact on your blood sugar level. Mark Hyman, MD, author of The Blood Sugar Solution, calls leafy greens "free foods," which means you should eat as many of them as you can. Bonus: The fiber in leafy greens will slow absorption of any carbohydrates (e.g., potatoes or bread) they're paired with, resulting in a healthier overall glycemic load.
Asparagus is a good vegetable choice because it is high in vitamins A and C, low in fat, and a good source of fiber. Another great option is any type of squash. Squash can be eaten year-round because there are winter varieties as well as summer ones. Summer squash has soft outer rinds (like zucchini). Winter squash has hard outer rinds (like pumpkin). Squash contains vitamin A, vitamin C, some B vitamins, iron, and calcium. Winter squash is especially high in vitamin A. Whether you serve steamed or grilled zucchini (squash) as a side dish or as a main part of your meal, it's a very nutritious addition to your menu planning.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Are You Ready to Try a Plant-Based Diet?
If you’ve read anything about healthy eating plans for people with diabetes, you’ve probably seen the term “plant-based diet.” But what does it mean? ...
What things should I keep in mind if I have diabetes?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
When you have diabetes, it can be hard to keep track of all the things you're supposed to do for you...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
What Support Should I Seek After My Diabetes Diagnosis?