Is diabetes contagious?

Although we don't know exactly why some people develop diabetes, we know diabetes is not contagious. It can't be caught like a cold or flu. There seems to be some genetic link in diabetes, particularly type 2 diabetes. Lifestyle factors also play a part.
Diabetes is not contagious. Diabetes is a chronic disease that occurs because the body does not produce insulin or the insulin is insufficient. Insulin is a hormone produced in the body by pancreatic cells.
Vandana  R. Sheth

No, diabetes is not contagious. Diabetes is a chronic condition which affects 28 million or 8.3% of the US population according to the CDC. There are 79 million who have prediabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Find a Diabetes Treatment Plan That Works for You
From extreme fatigue to an upset stomach, the list of side effects of medications jammed in at the end of drug commercials can be overwhelming. And it...
What is the A1C test for diabetes?
Mrs. Marjorie Nolan CohnMrs. Marjorie Nolan Cohn
The A1C test is used to diagnose diabetes. The higher your A1C level, the higher your risk of diabet...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Do I Have to Give Up Alcohol?