Can autistic children make eye contact and show affection?

Some children do make eye contact, and some work for years to learn to make eye contact. Showing affection is difficult for children with ASD, but it can be achieved if you model that behavior, be patient, and give it time. A child with ASD may be very affectionate, but he may not express it in traditional hugs and kisses.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Autism

Sharing Care: Autism Surfs—Gatlin’s Story
Who Is the SNAP Program Geared Towards?
Who Is the SNAP Program Geared Towards?
How Prevalent Is Bullying Towards Kids with Special Needs?
What Is the Neurobiology of Autism?
What Is the Neurobiology of Autism?