Autism: What You Need to Know
First, what autism isn’t: It’s not necessarily an intelligence problem. Some children with autism or an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) have intellectual disabilities, but others have normal or above-average intelligence. What children with autism or ASD share is trouble with social interaction and communication. Symptoms of autism usually become evident during toddlerhood.More on autism
How Much Do You Know
Autism NewsAutism may begin during the second trimester of pregnancy
1 in 42
The odds a boy in the US has an
autism spectrum disorder
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The Dan Marino Foundation
What tests are commonly used to diagnose autism?
No test can confirm autism outright, however, doctors may use various medical tests and procedures to help with autism diagnosis. There is not always a clinical need to do medical tests. Your doctor(s) can recommend . . .
- Q What are autism spectrum disorders?
- Q What are the characteristics of PDD-NOS?
- Q What is PDD-NOS?
- Q Are autism spectrum disorders serious?
- Q Is there research showing people with autism can improve social skills?
- Q How can an IEP help a child with an autism spectrum disorder?
- Q How common is autism?
- Q What are low activity brain patterns in children with ASD?
- Q What should I expect when I see a doctor about autism spectrum disorders?
- Q What are myths about autism?
Recent Autism Articles
Brain Chemical May Be Linked to Autism 6 Autism Myths Busted In the News: Can Autism Be Prevented? Autism: Reasons for Concern, Hope See All Articles