Autism: What You Need to Know
First, what autism isn’t: It’s not necessarily an intelligence problem. Some children with autism or an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) have intellectual disabilities, but others have normal or above-average intelligence. What children with autism or ASD share is trouble with social interaction and communication. Symptoms of autism usually become evident during toddlerhood.More on autism
How Much Do You Know
Autism NewsAutism may begin during the second trimester of pregnancy
1 in 42
The odds a boy in the US has an
autism spectrum disorder
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The Dan Marino Foundation
What tests are commonly used to diagnose autism?
No test can confirm autism outright, however, doctors may use various medical tests and procedures to help with autism diagnosis. There is not always a clinical need to do medical tests. Your doctor(s) can recommend . . .
- Q What are low activity brain patterns in children with ASD?
- Q What are high activity brain patterns in children with ASD?
- Q What are myths about autism?
- Q Can autistic children make eye contact and show affection?
- Q How is autism different from mental retardation?
- Q Does autism begin in the gut?
- Q What is the latest research being done on autism?
- Q How can I talk to my daughter about autism signs I see in my grandson?
- Q How common is PDD-NOS?
- Q What are the characteristics of PDD-NOS?
Recent Autism Articles
Brain Chemical May Be Linked to Autism Is Autism on the Rise? Autism May Begin Well Before Birth 6 Autism Myths Busted See All Articles