<p>First, what autism isn’t: an intelligence problem. Some children with autism or an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) have intellectual disabilities, but others have normal or above-average intelligence. What children with autism or ASD share is trouble with social interaction and communication. Symptoms of autism usually become evident during toddlerhood.</p>More on autism
What Really Increases the Risk for AutismNot Vaccines
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Can my pediatrician diagnose autism spectrum disorders?
<p>Your child's pediatrician will check to make sure your child is hitting certain developmental milestones, such as babbling, waving, and speaking. In addition, a pediatrician may observe your child to see if any typical signs of autism are present. If your pediatrician suspects an autism spectrum disorder, and he or she will most likely refer your child to a specialist who can diagnose your child.</p>
- QHow common is autism spectrum disorder (ASD)?
- QWhat should I expect when I see a doctor about autism spectrum disorders?
- QWhat should I do if I think my child has autism spectrum disorder (ASD)?
- QHow can an IEP help a child with an autism spectrum disorder?
- QShould I talk to my doctor about my child's Asperger's syndrome symptoms?
- QAre autism spectrum disorders serious?
- QWhat increases the risk of Asperger's syndrome?
- QWhat do I need to know about caring for my child with Asperger's syndrome?
- QHow is autism spectrum disorder (ASD) diagnosed?
- QCan children affected with Asperger's syndrome improve their social skills?
- QHow common is Asperger's syndrome?
- QHow is Asperger's syndrome treated?
- QWhat is autism spectrum disorder (ASD)?
- QCan Asperger's syndrome be prevented?
- QWhat are pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs)?
- QHow is Asperger's syndrome diagnosed?
- QCan very young children have autism spectrum disorders?
- QWhat causes Asperger's syndrome?
- QWhich specialist should a child with Asperger's syndrome see?
- QIs there a cure for Asperger's syndrome?
- QWhat is Asperger's syndrome?
- QHow does Asperger's syndrome affect the body?
- QHow was Asperger syndrome (AS) discovered?
- QHow do medications help to treat Asperger's syndrome?